Ask Miss Night: $30,000 worth of books?! YIPPEE!

on 7 September, 2012

Hello friends!

I know that at the end of  last week’s Ask Miss Night, I promised that this week would focus on a situation where a teacher is counting bathroom trips as discipline issues (seriously. You can probably guess where I’m going to stand on that one), and I PROMISE I will still write that column this weekend, but first, a sort-of-an-emergency question from NewfieNelly.

Nelly teaches at a small rural school where most of the classes are multi-grade, and she has the BEST problem EVER:

I  know this question is specific to my situation, but I think maybe a lot of people would like a list of good books to read. Our school was recently awarded a large sum of money to build a library.  ($30,000!) What is your dream list of children’s books?  (The grant is intended for k-8).

Ok, readers, I know you are all much smarter than me, so please help Nelly out on this one: what are the MUST HAVES for a school library for K-8 students? Dream big – $30,000 is a lot of book money!

My initial list, off the top of my very tired head:

• The complete works of Beverly Cleary, Judy Blume, Mo Willems, Laura Numeroff, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Robert Munsch, Gordon Korman.
  • The entire Magic Treehouse Series.
  • All of the I Spy books, in hardcover.
  • All the Madeline, Curious George, Olivia, Eloise, and Franklin books.
  • Several complete sets of Harry Potter
  • For the big kids: the Hunger Games & Divergent trilogies, all the Jodi Picoult books (I do not LOVE all of them, but they are fiction of reasonable quality in a format that appeals to many teenagers), everything by Barbara Kingsolver.
  • The Poetry for Young People series published by Scholastic.
  • Everything by Shel Silverstein.

I know this is just the tip of the iceberg, and I’m sure I will be inspired by your suggestions, so please GO NUTS in the comments!

Happy Friday, friends.

Miss Night

10 Responses to “Ask Miss Night: $30,000 worth of books?! YIPPEE!”

1. All Kinder age books:
    Press Here by Herve Tullet
    The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds
    from Scholastic: Hiccupotamus, Chimpansneeze, Pirates go to School, The crayon box that talked, glad monster sad monster, Harold and the Purple Crayon, Bear’s Loose Tooth (actually all of the “bear” stories are awesome),The red ripe strawberry and the big hungry bear,

2. Esther Childs says:

Oliver Jeffers – everything he has written
    Jon Klassen –
    Two outstanding authors

3. fsjeileen@gmail.com says:

Skippyjon Jones, Pete the cat, Holes, the lightening thief series, Chris Van Allsburg is a must for intermediate inferential thinking, playing war is an amazing book about compasion, Mo Willems (knuffle bunny, pigeon)

4. Newfie Nelly says:

Thank you all so much! Keep ’em coming! We can’t wait to write our lists!

5. Morgan says:

– Every single Eric Carle book you can get your hands on!
    – Kiddos in Kinder. and first love the Biscuit books, books about Clifford, and Arthur.
    – Books about kids and people with disabilities like My Friend has Autism by Amanda Doering Tourville or Ian’s Walk by Laurie Lears
    – Nonfiction books- What state are you in? Maybe check out the Science and Social Studies standards there and get books to support those.
    – Mercer Mayer books
    – Books by Gail Gibbons
    – DEFINITELY books by Mo Willems and Patricia Pollaco!
    – The Rainbow Fish book series
    – Math books by Stuart J. Murphy
    – The I Can Read book series and books by Syd Hoff
    – The View from the Cherry Tree and Don’t Hurt Laurie by Willo Davis Roberts

So jealous of your “problem!” Good luck!

6. I really appreciate book BINS for K-1 students. Here is a site if you want to see what I mean. http://www.bookbins.net/about.htm Younger students have a hard time browsing, and these are great for looking through lots of picture books. I have been trying to get my husband to make me LOTS of them for our small library because we don’t have the budget for them. But if you START with them you are all set 🙂 (He has made one, and the little ones love it!)
    Have lots of fun buying your books!

7. Jen says:

Yo! Yes! -Chris Raschka
    The Kevin Henkes books– Lilly’s purple plastic purse, etc
    The Mo Willems collections- Don’t let the pigeon… and Elephant and Piggie series
    Don’t forget nonfiction!!
    The Magic Schoolbus series,
    National Geographic kid’s books on animals, plants, etc
    Leo Lionni books such as “It’s Mine!”
    Good multicultural books and biographies
    Open-faced shelves for the young kids who can’t read the spines of books,
    comfy chairs, subscriptions to kid’s magazines

8. Matt Renwick says:

So many great authors and books out there, you can’t go wrong. Remember the shelves and furniture. My students love the whistle chairs we bought last year for our school library. Suggestion: Browse through a major book retailer and take notes on how they effectively sell books by the way they set up their displays. Same concept, right?

9. What a wonderful problem to have! Usborne, Eyewitness and National Geographic Kids non-fiction books. And Pete the Cat. And Todd Parr. And ….

10. Faige says:

Patricia Polacco, Ezra Jack Keats, Donald Crews So many but do much better when I get to look at some of my books at school. Will try to remember to add more on Monday.